Join us for some superhero fancy dress fun this October half-term at The Lightbox!
Alongside our current exhibition 'The Story of British Comics So Far: Cor! By Gum! Zarjaz!' we're celebrating superheroes and retro comics at our Comics Family Fun Afternoon on Friday 28 October, 1.00pm - 4.00pm.
Drop in for a free workshop making 'Comic Speech Bubbles' and pose with them in our giant comic frame, or get your face painted for just £2 per child. And make sure the kids come dressed up as their favourite caped crusaders, as there'll be prizes for the best costumes in the fancy dress competition!
If you like to get creative and DIY with your fancy dress, here are some inspiring tips that you can make together at home:
1) Use a colourful old sheet or towel to create a superhero cape. Attach some ribbon or string so you can tie it around your neck.
2) Cut your child's initial out of coloured fabric and glue it onto the front of a long-sleeved t-shirt. Link to instructions.
3) Customise your superhero cape by using another cut-out initial, logo, or lightning bolt and gluing or sewing them on.
4) Nod to your favourite characters with a fun cut-out mask made from felt. Link to instructions.
5) Cut out a belt and some wrist cuffs from felt or cardboard, not forgetting to decorate with lots of paint and glitter!
6) Get some rocket power with these DIY jetpacks made from drinks bottles and felt! Link to instructions.
7) Brightly coloured leggings are key! Wear a pair of shorts on top for the classic Superman look.
8) For that final superhero touch, accessorise with a shield, sword, or hammer cut out from sturdy cardboard and painted in bright colours to match your costume.
Show us your creations at the Comics Family Fun Afternoon to be in with a chance of winning some super prizes!
Friday 28 October 2016, 1.00pm – 4.00pm
Suitable for children aged 3+ | Must be accompanied by an adult
Images: 1 © marthastewart.com, 2 © cutesycrafts.com, 3 © doodlecraftblog.com