Lost Schools of Woking
This display explores the interesting history of educational provision and schools arriving in Woking. Although a free school, now the Royal Grammar School, was founded in Guildford in 1509, in the area of the present Woking borough there are no signs of a school until 1725.
There are at least fifty schools in Woking which have closed, many in living memory, and this display shows documents, photographs and a few artefacts from some of these. Many have disappeared without trace, leaving perhaps just newspaper advertisements, directory and census entries, the names of roads built on the site of the large houses they once occupied, and some memories in the minds of their alumni.
A booklet by the display gives some information on all the schools we have been able to identify, and any more memories and information would be welcomed.
Find out more by visiting the display in Woking's Story
The Lightbox would like to thank: Neil Burnett, Marion Eyles, David and Janet Hill, Hook Heath Residents’ Association, Marjorie Inglis, Jenny Mukerji, Helen Heng, Surrey History Centre, Valerie Thompson and her Friends Reunited contacts.
Image credit: ‘St Katharine’s Senior Girls’ Sitting Room, 1906’