LOST AND FOUND
About two years ago Jeremy Howard was taking his son to a football match when he noticed some trophies being thrown into a skip. He rescued them and gave them to The Lightbox, where we have researched the names on the trophies. Most are from the Woking Boys’ Grammar School which closed in 1977. The building is now the Police Station on Station Approach.
The Chess Club was founded at the school in the autumn term 1919 and grew gradually until 1930, when form and house tournaments and inter-schools matches began. In 1932 chess competitions for two trophies given to the school by “a kind friend” were started and chess increased in popularity in the school, the club having over one hundred members by 1949.
Among the cups on display is the junior cross-country cup which was first awarded in 1964. The school had many pupils who excelled at cross-country running, the most outstanding runner being Ian Logan, who continued his interest in cross-country running into adulthood.
If anyone can tell us any more about any of the names mentioned, please write a note in the booklet at the side of this display.
Many thanks to Hazel Gilmore, Clive Temple and Mark Coxhead.
See the display now outside Woking's Story.