Woking Palace is a Scheduled Monument in Old Woking, the historic precursor to present day Woking. Starting life as a medieval moated manor site in the 1200s, it became a Tudor Palace in the early 1500s before being dismantled and converted to farm land around 1630.
The moated site remained part of a farmed estate until purchased by Woking Borough Council in 1988. Very little was known about the complex other than a 17th century plan, and some investigation by its owner, the Hon. Rupert Guinness, at the beginning of the 20th century (from which only a plan survives).
Having received consent from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and from English Heritage, a three-year programme was established in 2009, based on three weeks of excavation each year. This was so successful that it was extended a season in 2012, and the project was awarded a substantial grant by the Heritage Lottery Fund, creating the 'Woking Palace and its Park' project.
As part of the educational branch of this projct, the Friends of Woking Palace have set up this permanent display at The Lightbox. The display includes a model reconstruction of the palace, a selection of finds and images from the excavations, some history about the site, videos, and children’s activities.
Blog: 5 Facts About the Royal History of Woking Palace