The Lightbox has a fantastic team of Volunteers who give up their time to help us. They fulfill a wide range of roles, from greeting our visitors to organising the historic collection and being tour guides to lending a hand at special events. There’s something for everyone.
Our Volunteers enjoy regular social events, such as the Annual Summer Party, as shown in the video below.
Some Volunteers come in once a week, but others just help out whenever they can. They all make a real difference to The Lightbox and to the people that we work with. There are also some great benefits to being a Volunteer:
• Make a difference to your community
• Gain work experience and enhance your CV
• Meet people and make new friends
Volunteers have a vital role within The Lightbox and are fundamental to our success and sustainability. We always like to acknowledge the effort our team of dedicated and enthusiastic Volunteers put in. Therefore, everyone in the team receives:
• Exclusive tours of our exhibitions led by our Curators at The Lightbox
• 10% off selected items in our Gift Shop and Café
• 10% off any of our workshops and talks
• A free hot drink from our canal side Café when you volunteer for Front of House
• Newsletters that highlight events and information specially for the Volunteers
• Any opportunities that arise within the museum and gallery and beyond that we think you might be interested in
• And not forgetting you will be invited to our Summer and New Year parties held exclusively for our lovely Volunteers.
Here's what some of our Volunteers have to say about volunteering their time at The Lightbox...
I applied to volunteer at The Lightbox this Summer 2014. The building both externally and internally is truly inspirational, providing a fantastic array of artwork. I believe I can make a real contribution to the work the gallery does for the community and the artworld. Having met some of the team, I instantly felt right at home and thoroughly enjoyed my guided tour around the gallery. Here’s to you Lightbox team! See you this Summer.
What a wonderful surprise to see such a spread when I arrived at the Volunteer Tea Party!! I was expecting a slice of cake and a cuppa, but you’d really pushed the boat out! Thank you it was such a lovely tea party and good to catch up with other Volunteers.
The Lightbox is always breaking new ground and moving forward. There are so many offshoots going out from the building, like the dementia initiative, the drawing workshops, the young curators, the children’s workshops, the Friends of The Lightbox and the links with Woking College and WWF.
Judith and Graham Errett
The Lightbox is very grateful for the time and effort our Volunteers give to the charity. As the face of The Lightbox, we really couldn’t ask for a better team! We always welcome new Volunteers, so if you would like to be a part of The Lightbox please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.
To become a Volunteer at The Lightbox please fill out the downloadable form below and email it to email@example.com or hand it to our Reception. Unfortunately we are unable to accept applications from those under the age of 16.
Volunteer Application Form
Image credit: Volunteers Tea Party June 2014
Video credit: Sam Pritchard