Woking Ex-Service Memorial Club Window The Woking British Legion Club began in temporary premises in Portugal Road in 1922, dedicated to ex-servicemen and their relatives who had fought in or been affected by the First World War. By 1926 membership had grown to 270 and a new club building at 65 Maybury Road was opened on 3 July 1926. Two plaques, giving thanks to those who fell and those who returned from the war, were placed by the entrance. Above the door was placed the stained glass window, in memory of those who died, paid for by members through a ‘shilling fund’ to which each gave a shilling (5p). The window depicts the battlefields of the First World War, with tanks, aircraft and ships, with barbed-wire surrounded trenches. About 1969 the club became the Woking Ex-Service Memorial Club, in the same building, but it ran into financial difficulties in 2000 and the site was sold for development in 2006. The club wished the windows to come to The Lightbox, and in November 2005 it was carefully removed under the watchful eyes of Kevin Smith, local historian, Paulina Shearing, of The Lightbox, and John Lawrence, a glass restorer. The Lightbox will be pleased to hear any reminiscences of the club by former members or other residents. See the window on display outside Woking's Story.